Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Devin

What were the images that danced in your head?
what did you see that was so unbearable?
your brother told us how you became his hero. You saved his life during a hunting trip with your red riders.
i carried the table that held your ashes, before those seven rifles made three reports to heaven. I remembered when we were kids. remember wrestling on my front lawn? we pretended like that fiberglass was money, we shot play guns at each other. We didn't know we were practicing.
how did you feel in Haiti?
what did you do in Korea?
the wounds you got in Iraq were too much.
the load you had to carry was heavy.
you were a hero to more than just your brother.
I'm glad you loved life so much, I'm sorry it killed you to take another.
I'm glad you lived. I'm glad you were family.
Good luck.

2 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Love you, Josiah! We're so sorry for the price your cousin had to pay for his brave service.

oralia said...

You have inspired me to blog about him.